Makes: 30 Shortbread Rounds
- 100 grams of icing sugar
- 200 grams of plain flour
- 100 grams of cornflour or rice flour
- 200 grams of very soft unsalted butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Paste
- Caster sugar
- Sieve the icing sugar, plain flour and cornflour into a mixing bowl.
- Combine softened butter with the extract or paste and combine using a hand whisk then add this mixture to the main mixing bowl.
- Whisk all the ingredients together until the soft mixture coheres and begins to form a ball, loosely clumping around the whisk.
- Turn this out onto a clean surface and form into a sausage shape. Place onto a piece of cling film long enough to accommodate the sausage of dough and roll up tightly, leaving enough cling film at each end to be able to get hold of.
- Holding each end of the cling film, pick up the dough and spin the dough to form an even round shape and put it in the fridge to firm up (around 1hr).
- Preheat the oven to 160° C/140° C Fan/gas mark 3/325°F about 10 minutes before you get the chilled shortbread out of the fridge.
- When the dough is firm, cut approx. 7mm thick biscuit pieces cutting through the cling film and removing cling film from the edge after cutting. Place onto a baking tray lined with parchment.
- Put the tray in the oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes, by which time the shortbread will be pale still, but not doughy.
- Remove the tray from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes or so, before removing with a palette knife to a wire rack.
- Sprinkle with the caster sugar and leave them to cool completely before eating or storing in a tin.
We love all things Vanilla at Vanilla Etc, try out our recipes and let us know how they turn out.
Share your photos with us on Insta @vanillaetc #vanilla #vanillaetc
If you have any questions, please get in touch at email@example.com