Vanilla crème brûlée
Preparation Time: 40 Mins
Cook Time: 70 Mins
- 250ml double cream
- 75ml full-fat milk
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp caster sugar, plus 3-4 tbsp for the topping
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ Sheet ready to roll puff pastry (if using)
- Finely chopped almonds
- Heat oven to 140C/120C fan/gas 1. Put the cream, milk and vanilla pod into a pan and heat to boiling point.
- Cover and leave to infuse for 10 mins.
- Whisk the egg yolks and 3 tbsp of sugar together until pale and thick.
- Add the vanilla extract and pour the boiling cream onto the mixture. Stir well, then pour into two ramekins. Place the ramekins in a bain-marie and cook in the oven for about 20 mins or until just set. Leave to cool.
- Heat the grill. Sprinkle the cold brûlée with a thin, even layer of sugar and caramelise under the very hot grill (or use a blowtorch). Repeat several times until you have a golden crackling topping. Leave to cool and serve within 2 hrs with warm Almond puff pastry sticks.
Almond puff pastry sticks
- Heat oven to 190c/170C fan/ gas 5. Roll out half a sheet of puff pastry to 3mm thickness, brush with half a beaten egg and sprinkle with finely chopped almonds.
- Using a long sharp knife, cut strips of pastry 12mm wide and 10cm long. Twist 5 times and place on a baking sheet. Bake until golden and crisp, then dust with icing sugar and serve warm with the crème brûlée.
We love all things Vanilla at Vanilla Etc, try out our recipes and let us know how they turn out.
Share your photos with us on Insta @vanillaetc #vanilla #vanillaetc
If you have any questions, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org